Historic Places & Facts
| Find historic places of local and national significance within Goodhue County.
Help using Historic Places Application
Did You Know
- Colonel William Colvill, Cannon Falls, Commander of the famed First Minnesota Infantry regiment at the Civil War battle of Gettysburg, has a Minnesota State Monument, in Cannon Falls, dedicated to him for his volunteerism and work in Minnesota.
- Dr. Just Christian Gronvold, Wanamingo Township, well known for his medical research on pneumonia and leprosy, organized ‘The Norway Singing Society and Brass Band’ comprised of over 100 members in the late 1800’s.
- Sheldon Memorial Auditorium, Red Wing, was the first municipally-owned theater in the United States, created from a bestowment to the City of Red Wing from Theodore B. Sheldon family, and construction was completed in 1904.
- Silvernale Site, Red Wing, 3,000 to 600 years ago there was an extensive and thriving native Indian community in the Mississippi River valley of Goodhue County, mainly in the Cannon River valley. This site was one of the villages for these semi-nomadic people.
- Oxford Mill, Stanton Township, is the home of the typical 1880’s period stone mill that used the local wheat farming community to manufacture flour.
There are over 400 sites in Goodhue County listed on the National Register of Historic Places and many more sites with local historic value. To learn more about these sites, visit the county's new interactive web mapping application.
Access the map legend for more information on how to use the tool.
- Many properties are located on private property and noted in the linked property document. Please respect property owners land rights and trespassing laws. Private property means no trespassing. If a site is on private property the document is noted in red.
- Please ask the owner of photographs for permission to use.
Historic sites and information are periodically added, please revisit.
If you have a site that you would like to be considered for listing, comments, or additional site information, please contact Alan Laumeyer, Goodhue County GIS Office.
Goodhue County assumes no liability for the accuracy or completeness of this map or responsibility for any associated direct, indirect, or consequential damages that may result from its use or misuse. Goodhue County Copyright