Board of Appeal & Equalization
Property Assessment Appeals
The County’s valuation and classification of a property can be appealed if the property owner does not agree with the assessment. Concerns must be related to the current year EMV for taxes payable for the following year. The Assessor’s Office cannot address an appeal of the EMV for the prior year at this time: an appeal of the prior year EMV can only be appealed through the Minnesota Tax Court and must be filed by April 30 of the year the taxes are due.
If you disagree with your estimated market value on your recent Valuation Notice you have the right to appeal.
To Begin the Appeal Process:
- Collect facts to show your case by gathering recent sales of like properties.
- Contact the Assessor’s Office at 651-385-3040 – option 1.
- Talk to a County Appraiser to review your information about your value or classification.
- No interior inspections will be conducted due to COVID-19 so you will be asked to supply the Assessor’s office with additional information which may include interior photos of your property.
- If issue is not resolved:
- Call into your local Board of Appeal & Equalization meeting at the below phone number and access code.
- Make an appointment for the County Board of Appeal & Equalization meeting.
- Final option is to file in Minnesota Tax Court 651-539-3260.
!!!! ATTENTION !!!
Notice of Reassessments
The Goodhue County Assessor’s Office will be performing reassessments of property. This is for the 2021 assessment for property taxes payable in 2022 in the following areas:
- City of Red Wing
- Welch Township
- Belle Creek Township
- Vasa Township
- Featherstone Township
At this point, due to COVID restrictions, Goodhue County appraisal staff will not be conducting any face to face contact for our state required quintile viewing. The appraisal staff will be out updating photos in the City of Red Wing, Welch Township, Featherstone Township, Vasa Township and Belle Creek Township areas for our quintile areas for the 2021 assessment.
If you would like to update your parcel information, please contact us at 651-385-3040, or complete a Property Questionnaire form by clicking here.
Board of Appeal & Equalization Meetings
At this time, the County Board of Appeal & Equalization meeting on June 23rd (by appointment only) will be conducted through GoToMeeting. Due to concerns surrounding the spread of COVID-19, it has been determined that in-person meetings or meetings conducted under Minn. Stat. 13D.02 a are not practical or prudent. Therefore, meetings that are governed by the Open Meeting Law will temporarily be conducted by telephone or other electronic means pursuant to Minn. Stat. 13D.021.