- Health & Human Services
- Economic Assistance
- Renewals - Medical Assistance (Minnesota's Medicaid Program) and MinnesotaCare Coverage
Renewals - Medical Assistance (Minnesota's Medicaid Program) and MinnesotaCare Coverage
Medical Assistance (Minnesota’s Medicaid program) and MinnesotaCare enrollees must have their eligibility reviewed once a year to ensure they still qualify for insurance. This process is called a renewal.
Renewals were paused during the COVID-19 pandemic; however, they must restart according to federal law.
Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) is offering one-way text messages for people enrolled in Medical Assistance (MA), MinnesotaCare, The Minnesota Family Planning Program, and Medicare Savings Programs.
Find out more about this text messaging program.
- How to Prepare for Your Renewal
- when to Renew Your Coverage
- Where to Return Your Documents
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Have you moved in the past 3 years, or will you be moving soon? Has your address or contact information changed?
To receive your renewal packet, we need your current address and contact information.
If you have Medical Assistance, please update your address and contact information by one of the following options:
- Calling 651-385-3200 OR
- Emailing email@example.com OR
- Mailing to 426 West Ave, Red Wing, MN 55066 OR
- In-person at Goodhue County Health and Human Services
If you have MinnesotaCare, please update your address and contact information by calling:
651-297-3862 or 800-657-3672.
*If you are unsure if you have Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, please call 651-297-3862 or 800-657-3672.
Renewals for enrollees take place based on the anniversary month of your application for coverage.
If you applied for Medical Assistance in July, you have a July Medical Assistance renewal. If you are still eligible for coverage, your renewal paperwork will need to be completed, submitted, and processed by your county or tribe by June 30 for your coverage to continue on July 1.
What to expect and do:
- You will receive a pre-renewal notice in the mail about 2-3 months before the anniversary of your enrollment date to let you know your renewal packet will be coming soon.
- You will receive a renewal packet in the mail 1-2 months before your renewal is due. Inside the renewal packet you’ll find a cover letter with instructions and a due date. You must complete the enclosed renewal form and return it with all the needed proofs by the due date. Eligibility will then be determined.
If you have Medical Assistance, please turn in completed renewal form and requested proofs to Goodhue County Health and Human Services:
- Dropbox-located outside the main entrance
- Mail to 426 West Ave, Red Wing, MN 55066
- Front Desk Staff
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upload on MNBenefits
If you have MinnesotaCare, please turn in renewal form and requested proofs to the address listed on the paperwork.
When will my renewal form be processed?
- Renewal forms are processed in the order they are received.
- Your renewal will take longer if it is not complete or not signed. Answer all the questions and sign your renewal form to help us process it faster.
- DHS will notify you when your renewal form has been processed. We will send a notice if we need more information from you to decide your eligibility. We will send a notice to tell you whether your eligibility has been renewed.
See MN Department of Human Services for more FAQs: Renewing MA and MinnesotaCare eligibility / Minnesota Department of Human Services (mn.gov)